Traffic engineering is the design and construction of measures to regulate or improve the flow of traffic. It incorporates elements such as traffic signal design, traffic calming, bus and cycle priority, variable message signage, intelligent transport systems, traffic regulation orders, contra-flows and speed limits.
Where a development requires works to be carried out to an existing public highway, an agreement must be made between the developer and the Local Highway Authority under Section 278 of the Highways Act 1980.
The agreement covers works such as the construction of new access roads, the improvement of junctions with the highway and safety related works such as traffic calming and improved facilities for pedestrians and cyclists.
Works within the limits of the publicly maintained highway are not permitted until the Section 278 Agreement is completed and the financing secured.
The benefits of professional traffic engineering services are:
- A timely and professionally prepared agreement under Section 278 will avoid delays to the completion of the development
- Design of suitable off site highway improvements as an integral part of a development will help to secure planning consent
- Reallocating road space for more sustainable modes of transport such as public transport and cycling will improve the accessibility criteria of your development site
- Identifying the most suitable form of access to a development site (signals, roundabout, etc.) will reduce local congestion and over engineering
- Ensuring that proposals for new highway infrastructure comply with relevant design standards will avoid costly rework and delays
- Design of new roads in conjunction with a new development will relieve congestion
- Optimising the performance of traffic signal junctions will reduce congestion
How We Can Help
We provide a comprehensive service on all matters relating to traffic engineering from conception through to completion.
Our experienced engineers are adept at identifying innovative solutions to highway and traffic problems, from the preparation of preliminary design proposals to the completion of detailed drawings for construction purposes.
We combine technical expertise, with a sound commercial understanding, to devise the most cost effective and environmentally friendly solutions.
We are fully conversant with all relevant design guidance documents and we ensure that our designs meet the required standards of safety and quality.
We will liaise with the Local Planning and Highway Authorities and Highways England (where required) on your behalf to ensure that your development and the associated traffic engineering works progress as smoothly as possible.
Here are some of the traffic engineering services we provide:
- Multi-Modal Interchange Design
- Park-&-Ride feasibility and design
- Traffic Calming & Management Schemes
- Signage Design
- Vehicle Swept Path Analysis using AutoDesk’s Vehicle Tracking computer software
- Junction Capacity Analysis
- Traffic & Parking Surveys
- Traffic Regulation Orders
- Road Closures & Footpath Diversions
- Traffic Speed Measurements
- Road and Horizontal Surface Markings
- Design of pedestrian & cycle crossing facilities
Examples of Our Work
Innsworth Technology Park, Gloucester: Design of improvements to existing signal junction access and Road Safety Audit.
Lytham Quays: Access road design relating to a mixed use development comprising residential, office and industrial.
Lingley Mere Business Park, Warrington: Design of 28 no. amended road signs to provide directional signage to the Business Park, which has planning permission for 1,000,000 ft² of office development as well as a Hotel. More…
Moss House Road, Blackpool: Detailed design of new signalised junction to serve residential development and improvements to existing adjacent signalised junctions.
Blackmore Business and Technology Park, Malvern: Detailed design of 300 m of Industrial access road. More…
Hills Property Ltd, Sarum Drive, Devizes: Design of the access road complete with turning head and cycleway links.
The Laurels, Bolton: Design of vehicular access arrangement incorporating traffic calming measures via the introduction of two carriageway build-outs on the existing highway, in order to achieve the required driver visibility splays. More…
Willow Brook Centre, Bradley Stoke: Advice on possible road safety measures at the Willow Brook Centre (retail park), Bradley Stoke, including provision of cost estimates for preferred options. More…