Planning approval is often accompanied by the requirement to provide improvement works to the local highway network. These highway improvement works require a high level of expertise in their design, management and supervision.
Cole Easdon Consultants is able to provide the expertise and experience required to obtain the necessary technical approvals from the statutory authorities during the design stage.
We will provide the safest and most cost effective highway solution, which will take into account existing site constraints and all existing utility apparatus located within the highway corridor.
We will manage and site supervise the construction stage, to ensure a successful delivery of the proposed improvement works.
Construction characteristics such as grade, surface texture, sight distance, radii of horizontal bends and vertical slopes, in relation to design speed and road junction design, are all important elements of highway improvement works.
Highway improvement works will:
- Assist in securing planning permission for a development and in discharging planning conditions
- Minimise the impact of the proposed development upon the existing highway network
- Provide a more efficient highway network, which will benefit the development’s occupiers and the existing users of the highway network
- Result in a timely and professionally prepared agreement under Section 278 which will avoid delays to the completion of the development
- Ensure that proposals for new highway infrastructure comply with relevant design standards which will avoid costly rework and delays
How We Can Help
We will ensure that your highway improvement works will satisfy the requirements of all relevant statutory bodies (e.g., The Highway Authority) and will:
- Carry out utility impact assessments, and undertake negotiations with utility companies
- Provide all necessary design information to the Highway Authority to obtain technical approval (Section 38, 278 highway agreements, etc.)
- Provide design drawing packages for tendering and construction
- Undertake detailed horizontal & vertical alignment design using the latest computer software
- Provide detailed works specifications
- Provide advice and recommendations on defective highway construction
- Undertake street lighting and signage design
- Calculate cut and fill volumes using 3D software
- Compile Contract & Tender Documentation
- Provide construction cost estimates
- Undertake contract administration and site supervision
- Undertake the role of Pricipal Designer
Examples of Our Work
Abbey Farm, Swindon: Deisgn of two new roundabouts to provide access to this 350 No. dwelling development on the northern fringe of Swindon. More…
Eve Arc, Falmouth: Deisgn of a new roundabout to provide access to this 177 No. dwelling development.
Gwallon Keas, St Austell: Deisgn of a new traffic signal controlled junction to provide access to this 189 No. dwelling development.
Kingsdown Industrial Estate, Swindon: Design of a new priority junction to serve a new industrial estate.
Hunt Lane, Oldham: S278 works, Site Supervision, Project Management, Contract Administration and CDM Co-ordinator. More…
Kembrey Park, Swindon: S278 detailed design and specification of a new roundabout and access road, relating to a mixed use development comprising DIY retail, Crèche, Hotel, Family Pub/Restaurant and Health & Fitness Centre. More…
Leeds Schools: Assessment of existing highway access and design for improved highway access and car parking provision for six schools all to be upgraded within the City of Leeds as part of a Private Finance Initiative. Safe Routes to school also formed part of the brief.
St Joseph’s College, Swindon: S278 detailed design for a new signalised access junction and pedestrian/cycle crossing for a new school campus.
National Diving & Activity Centre, Tidenham: S278 detailed design for major/minor priority junction into new Diving and Activity Centre site, located on the A48 Trunk Road near Chepstow. More…
Long Hanborough: S278 detailed design and Site Supervision for upgrading of existing 3 arm roundabout to create a 4 arm roundabout to provide access to a new Co-op store. More…