During the early stages of a project, it is important that the client is fully aware of the likely costs associated with a development, so that its viability can be assessed.
Once the decision has been taken to proceed, it is important to understand the phasing of works so that monies can be scheduled and allocated to the project at the appropriate times. These budget costs are often based upon an assessment made using the outline drawings and specifications available.
Before the construction of a development commences, a competent contractor is appointed. It is usual practice for the client to invite tenders from a number of contractors as part of the procurement process.
On the basis of the bids received the most suitable contractor is selected and enters into a contract with the client.
A works specification is a key part of the tender package, to make sure that contractors understand exactly what is required and are tendering on an equal basis.
The specification will either be contained within the tender drawings or within a separate specification document.
Professionally prepared Cost Assessments and Contract Documentation for a project will:
- Provide cost information to give the client confidence regarding a project’s viability
- Break the project down into the cost of its component parts and provide the opportunity to review the project to achieve cost savings where possible
- Provide clear and precise contract documents and specifications to minimise the risk of costly contractual disputes and construction cost over-runs and ensure the works are constructed to recognised standards
How We Can Help
Our experienced staff can help by providing the following services:
- Thorough and carefully considered cost estimates on which the viability of a project can be assessed
- Contract documentation and works specifications which are tailored specifically to each project’s unique requirements. This will make sure that tenders and contracts are clear, thereby avoiding costly disputes and contract over-runs
Examples of Our Work
Abbotswood, Romsey: Detailed cost estimates for 11 No. off-site junction improvements associated with an 800 dwelling residential development. More…
Kingsdown Industrial Estate, Swindon: Contract and tender documentation for the construction of a new priority junction to serve a new industrial estate.
National Diving & Activity Centre, Tidenham: Detailed cost estimates for a major/minor priority junction into the new Diving and Activity Centre site, located on the A48 Trunk Road near Chepstow. More…
Hopton Park Industrial Estate, Devizes: Contract Documentation, Bills of Quantities and works specification for a new industrial estate access road as well as remedial works to existing access roads to enable adoption by the Highway Authority. More…
Northgate Car Park, Devizes: Contract Documentation, Bills of Quantities and works specification for a new public pay & display car park and a large storm water attenuation system serving the car park and neighbouring residential development.
High Peak Council Depot, Buxton: Budget costings for the implementation of a household waste recycling centre and the consideration of alternative sites.
Area H11A, Priory Vale, Swindon: Contract Documentation, Bills of Quantities and works specification for new residential estate access road.